Which of these situations go best with present simple & which go best with present continuous?
|SELDOM||OCCASIONALLY||THESE DAYS, BUT NOT FOR LONG||CLASS TIMES|
|SOMETHING YOU DO ONCE A YEAR||NEVER||AT THE MOMENT||THE WEATHER TODAY|
- ‘How do you prefer to study?’ ‘I _________ about the topic and ______ notes.
- ‘What languages ______________?’ ‘Chinese, Slovak and Spanish.’
- ‘Who _____________ that violin?’ (violin = musical instrument) ‘My wife.’
- ‘Your daughter’s very keen on keep fit, isn’t she?’ ‘Yes, _______ yoga and __________ spinning classes at the leisure centre.’ (spinning class = an exercise class)
- ‘Where is she now?’ ‘She _____________ weights in her bedroom.’ (weights = dumbbells – exercise equipment)
- ‘Who is ______________ the saxophone in the flat upstairs? Do they ___________ every night? How do you _________?’ (saxophone = a musical instrument)
- ‘What’s that song ___________ upstairs?’ ‘I can’t hear it. Oh, yes, she _______________ to One Direction again. She ____________________ them every day. I really ____________ them!’
- ‘I know you like _____________ Arabic, but can we __________ in English in class, please?’
- ‘Do you usually wear that hat?’ ‘No, it’s new, normally I _____________ a baseball cap like Ahmed’s. He usually ______________ that red MAGA red one, but today he _______________ a blue NIKE one.
- ‘What a lovely watch!’ ‘It ________________________ I’m afraid – it’s been broken for years.’
- ‘Could I use your phone?’ ‘I’m afraid it _________________________ at the moment.’
Repeated actions not around the moment of speaking: present simple.
Repeated actions around the moment of speaking: present continuous.
We use the present simple for events – things that happen one after another.
We use present continuous for background – things that are already happening when the story starts, or that continue through part of the story.
Write a 3 sentence story using both tenses & read it to your partner.
Instructions & directions – what tense do we use to write and give instructions?
We use present continuous for changing and developing situations
Write 3 sentences to illustrate this use of the present continuous.
|The world’s population||You||Your English||Prices|
|Pandas||The company Nokia||Teenagers||The political situation in the UK|
|Elderly people||The USA||traffic||Autumn|
3rd person singular.
- What is the most common way of making the 3rd person singular?
- What happens with words ending in vowel + y?
- What happens with words ending in consonant + y?
- After which consonants and groups of consonants do we add -es?
- Which two other common words add – es?
Write the third person singular of these verbs?
Verbs we don’t use with present continuous
Try to make sentences using these words in the present tense: