Education speaking & listening
Private schools, grammar school, state education
Michael Gove reading
Abdul’s student council feedback
Khumbulani’s presentation – making things for free in Zimbabwe
Past continuous, would & used to
Undergraduate Open Days at Salford
For and against arguments. Discuss this statement:
“Instead of attacking the successes of private education, the state education sector should seek to learn from them.”
- The teacher is in charge of the topics and education.
- Parents have more control.
- There is more discipline.
- The country suffers because a lack of opportunities for everyone is not good for the health of the country.
- It’s more important to talk about the unfairness of private schools. They are only for the rich!
- Is it true that teaching is better in private schools? This might not be the case.
Where are grammar schools in the UK?
dunce’s cap & writing lines
grass roofed house in Zimbabwe
UK US /ˈprɪv.əl.ɪdʒ/
perpetuate verb [T]
UK /pəˈpetʃ.u.eɪt/ US /pɚˈpetʃ-/ formal
dunce noun [C] (we don’t use this word these days, it’s not a nice thing to say!)
UK US /dʌns/ disapproving
UK US /ˈræɡ.ɪd/
› (of clothes) torn and not in good condition:The children were wearing dirty, ragged clothes.› (of a person) untidy, dirty, and wearing old, torn clothes:Two ragged children stood outside the station, begging for money.