Education speaking & listening
Private schools, grammar school, state education
Michael Gove reading
Abdul’s student council feedback
Khumbulani’s presentation – making things for free in Zimbabwe
Past continuous, would & used to
Undergraduate Open Days at Salford
For and against arguments. Discuss this statement:
“Instead of attacking the successes of private education, the state education sector should seek to learn from them.”
- The teacher is in charge of the topics and education.
- Parents have more control.
- There is more discipline.
- The country suffers because a lack of opportunities for everyone is not good for the health of the country.
- It’s more important to talk about the unfairness of private schools. They are only for the rich!
- Is it true that teaching is better in private schools? This might not be the case.
Where are grammar schools in the UK?
dunce’s cap & writing lines
grass roofed house in Zimbabwe
Review personality adjectives & crossword
Discuss class representatives for student council
Presentation techniques using Mark’s spidergram
Sylwia’s Prezi presentation/Ana’s presentation
neither & either – story example:
Did you watch the football or Coronation Street last night?
I watched neither of them. I was out at the pub.
Child – I want an ice cream and a bar of chocolate
Parent – You can’t have both you’ll be sick! Which one do you want?
Child – Ice cream and chocolate! Please!
Parent – No. You can have either chocolate or ice cream. You have to choose.
Child – Ok, chocolate ice cream, please.
1. Pick 8 words from the personality & character traits list to describe you – underline them.
2. Pick 8 words that describe your partner and circle them.
3. Pick 8 words that describe neither of you and put a cross next to it.
4. Explain your decisions to your partner. “I think that you are smart because…. ” “I believe that I am because …” “I don’t think either of us are …”
5. How accurate are your partner’s guesses? What personality traits do you have in common?
Exam presentation practice:
Student A – “Celebrities are a bad example for young people.”
Student B – “It is schools’ responsibility to teach children respect.”
›She’s been accused of plagiarism.
Objectives – today’s lesson will be ‘workshop style’ (you do the work and I shop online on ebay … only joking …
Here is what you need to do by the end of today (hopefully).
Complete your Level 2 paper-based diagnostic test.
Go on BKSB and do the Functional English Initial Assessment. You need to achieve Level 1. If you haven’t got a Level 1 result yet – this is what you will be doing today. Work through the lower level exercises and then I will re-set and you will re-take the test.
Complete the BKSB Maths Initial Assessment. The college insists that you do this. Every student has to have their maths level assessed and then we can work on improving your maths level throughout the year.
Have you had a one-to-one I.L.P. with me? If not, you need to book one in.
Do you know when you are doing your Monday 5 minute video presentation? And your Tuesday 10 minute Prezi presentation!!!!!!??? If you want to work on your PREZI, you can do this today.
Use a prefix to write the opposite of a word:
A noun for the adjectives
- competence & competency