Vocabulary – definitions & spellings of words used previously in class
Dictionary work – ‘How to Learn English in 6 months’ TEDx Talk
Finding a new flatmate listening
writing an informal email about where you live
How to learn any language in six months – questions about the video:
- What is hypnopaedia? Does it work?
- What is Rapid Language Acquisition? Can it work?
- What is social dislocation?
- What does the speaker mean by a) principles and b) modelling?
- How have the limits of flight been expanded by watching the behaviour of animals?
- What does the speaker mean by ‘immersion’?
- “When you (first) learn a language you are like a baby” What do you think about this statement?
- What does the phrase, “acquire unconsciously” mean?
- What is a spouse?
- Do you have a language parent?
learning by hearing while asleep or under hypnosis.
hypno therapynoun [U]
UK /ˌhɪp.nəˈθer.ə.pi/ US /-noʊ-/
UK US /ˌæk.wɪˈzɪʃ.ən/
dislocation noun [C or U]
/ˌdɪs.ləʊˈkeɪˌʃən/ US /-loʊ-/
Rapid Language Acquisition is
principle noun (IDEA)
principal adjective [before noun]
UK US /ˈprɪn.sɪ.pəl/
UK US /ˈprɪn.sɪ.pəl/
principal noun (PERSON)
UK /ɪˈmɜːs/ US /-ˈmɝːs/
acquire verb [T]
UK /əˈkwaɪər/ US /-ˈkwaɪɚ/
UK /ʌnˈkɒn.ʃəs/ US /-ˈkɑːn-/
Words we have previously defined in class. You need to spell and define these words using a paper dictionary
flatmate noun [C]
UK US /ˈflæt.meɪt/ UK
lodger noun [C]
UK /ˈlɒdʒ.ər/ US /ˈlɑː.dʒɚ/ (US also roomer)
landlord noun [C]
UK /ˈlænd.lɔːd/ US /-lɔːrd/
landlord noun [C] (OWNER)
landlord noun [C] (BAR MANAGER)
UK US /ˈbʌdʒ.ɪt/
fortnight noun [C usually singular]
UK /ˈfɔːt.naɪt/ US /ˈfɔːrt-/ UK
few determiner, pronoun (SOME)
several determiner, pronoun
UK /ˈsev.ər.əl/ US /-ɚ-/
handy adjective (USEFUL)
handy adjective (SKILFUL)
UK US /kənˈviː.ni.ənt/
B1 suitable for your purposes and needs and causing the least difficulty:Our local shop has very convenient opening hours.A bike’s a very convenient way of getting around.[+ that] It‘s very convenient that you live near the office.[+ to infinitive] I find it convenient to be able to do my bankingonline.What time would it be convenient for me to come over?
write an email to another student in class describing your current living situation. Include information about:
- the place where you live
- who you live with
- how you found it
- how you feel about it